We offer a range of Autism related training courses which can be tailored to your school or organisation's requirements.
Research has shown that understanding Autism Spectrum Conditions can have a massive impact on the success of a pupil’s education setting. We are keen to offer whole school INSET that includes support staff and welfare assistants and which can contribute to the success of an inclusive school. Parents can also be invited to the training sessions.
We love sharing our knowledge and expereince so that you can discuss all the issues and questions you have about autism and the pupils that you teach. Out motto is "Making School Successful" and our feedback proves that many pupils are supported far better once staff have received our training.
So don't forget to read the course feedback page to see what people have said!
All Key Stages - Let's Talk Autism -
This is our main INSET course and will provide the basis of all other courses.
This introduction to ASC takes a minimum of 3 hours which can be done as one session or two twilights. It is adapted for the apporpriate age of people you work with and includes practical activities, resource examples to look at and DVD clips to help staff understanding and support strategies, including...
- What is Autism Spectrum Condition and how all pupils with ASC are different
- Sensory Processing Difficulties - What they are and how to adapt the or environment
- Behaviour - what causes challenging behaviour and how do we support the pupil effectively
- What works in the classroom or environment you are in - practical and realistic strategies that really help WANT THIS COURSE - BOOK HERE
Other courses can include:
As an additional half day to make up a full days training, or follow-on courses after the Let's Talk Autism course has been delivered. Also suitable for staff who have a good knowledge of autism already.
All Key Stages: (Click on course to make a booking enquiry) All courses are adapted for the setting and age of the pupils.
- Behaviour Support
- How to write Social Stories™
- Supporting SEND in your classroom – A general introduction to SEND for the class teacher (can be KS1-2 or KS3-4)
- Forest Schools taster session – As a qualified Level 3 Forest Schools leader, Lynn can do taster sessions and help your school plan a Forest School curriculum
- Autism and ADHD - how the two conditions present and interact. How to support.
- Developing Social Skills - 1. Setting up groups and activities to encourage cooperation and positive interactions between all pupils. 2. Learning about what people do and how to respond.
- Autism and Girls - looking at the identification, characteristics and support needs of autistic girls.
- Autism and Mental Health / Anxiety - Anxiety is a constant companion of many autistic children and can affect their mental health. Looking at support, teaching and sensory activities to support mental wellbeing.
- Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome - (PDA) Learn about children with this condition which is part of the autistic spectrum but who have different needs due to the anxiety that everyday demands create. Learn about the support strategies you can use.
Early Years and Primary
- Autism in the Early Years – recognising autism and early interventions, communication and social interaction support.
- Sensory Story Telling – a very practical course relevant to EYS, ASC and PMLD pupils
- Making Playtimes Better – focussing on this often difficult area for pupils with ASC
- Why Some Children with Autism Don't Want to Write - a workshop to support writing NEW!!!
Secondary and Further Education
- Transition (KS2-3 and KS4-5)
- Understanding Puberty, Growing Up and Relationships for pupils with ASC
- Social Detectives (developing social awareness and skills)
- Mental Health and Wellbeing for Teens with ASC. NEW!!!
- Lego Therapy - what is it, why do it and how to set it up. NEW!!!
- We occasionally put on parents courses and we have speakers who are autistic, parents, and specialist professionals. If you are interested in us holding a course or speaking at your support group or parents event - please contact us.
All our courses are delivered by our expert autism specialist teachers who have extensive experience in both mainstream and special schools.
We understand the realities of the school environment and offer practical ideas, strategies and resources for you to be able to effectively implement in the classroom or wider school.
Costs are dependent on the course you require and whether it is for one school or a cluster of schools. We will travel, and schools and organisations outside Lancashire may have to pay travel and accomodation costs where applicable. All costs are competitive and discounts are available for charities.
All INSET courses of "Let's Talk Autism" (half or full day course) booked in 2018 will receive a free copy of either 'How to support children with ASC in primary school' or 'How to support students with ASC in secondary school'.
Usual Costs (additional costs depend on distance from Lancashire)
- Half day or two twilight courses to deliver Let's Talk Autism or similar (3 hours) £485
- 2 hour talk or presentation for whole staff or group on any topic £340
- Whole day training (content to suit your setting) £650 small schools (up to 12 attendees) £700-900 larger schools and clusters of schools (depending on numbers.)
- Key note speaker and workshops £250 - £550 depending on amount of work involved.